It’s hard for today’s children to imagine a world without smartphones, apps or the Internet. Technology has become so ubiquitous that many just expect it to be there, together with water, electricity and sewage. While the widespread adoption of technology offers many benefits in terms of communication and education, it also creates new challenges for today’s parents.
Specifically: How can they allow their children enough independence to explore and adapt to this digital world, all the while making sure they stay safe online?
Digital parenting by the numbers
According to a PEW report, the main digital concerns of parents are how their children behave online, who do they interact with, and what personal information they share. Besides that, parents must also decide how much screen time should be allowed.
A different PEW report paints the picture in numbers:
- 61% of parents say they have checked which websites their teen has visited
- 39% of parents report using parental controls for blocking, filtering or monitoring their teen’s online activities.
- 95% have talked with their teen about appropriate content for them to view online, with 39% doing so frequently.
- 16% use parental controls to restrict their teen’s use of his or her cellphone.
- 65% of parents report that they have punished their teen by taking away their teen’s cellphone or internet access
Turn your internet gateway into your ALLY
Here at AVG, we want to give all parents a helping hand in keeping their children safe online and managing the allowed screen time. And we think the best way to do that is on your digital front door: your router.
Meet ALLY, the smart and secure router that provides easy-to-use parental control features. ALLY is a collaboration between AVG and Amped Wireless, the leading manufacturer of high power, long range wireless solutions.
Ally is a smart router built on AVG's Chime router security technology
The humble router may not seem like much, but it actually manages all your incoming and outgoing internet traffic. That puts it in the most strategic position to give you a holistic view of your whole household’s internet activity. ALLY takes this and adds built-in parental controls and security, so you don’t need to install them on every single device.
You save time and get more control.
Digital parenting made easy… Well, easier
The ALLY router comes with an easy to use smartphone app and a great set of tools to safeguard your child’s activity online without trapping him in an offline bubble.
Simple, intuitive control over your internet.
- Internet-free moments. Set individual Wi-Fi schedules for each child or pause the Internet during homework or dinner time.
- Activity Reports. See a report of your kids' online activity so you can keep a tab on what they are up to.
- On-the-go security. Get activity alerts when flagged sites are visited & block devices that try to connect to your network.
- Filter out the bad. Manage what your kids can see online by filtering out specific content, apps or websites.
- Enable AVG® protection. Protect the devices on your network from malware and phishing attacks by blocking harmful websites.
Protection for the things antivirus can’t reach
With our own Chime security built-in, the ALLY router ads an extra layer of security for all your connected devices. This is especially important for those vulnerable devices which cannot be protected by an antivirus such as webcams, thermostats, lights, doorbells, …
Thanks to our expertise, it can stop threats in their tracks and block malware links before they even load on your devices.
Take the first step into keeping your children safe online.