How to remove a virus detected by AVG
When AVG real-time antivirus protection detects a virus in your computer, AVG Detection window is displayed, with two possible scenarios:
- Threat is removed automatically;
- You are asked whether you want to remove the threat (option Protect Me), or you want to keep the file (option Ignore the threat).
AVG scan removes the detected infections automatically. If the scan detected a virus which was not removed automatically, you can click the Address issue button in the scan result. You can then:
- Remove particular files by selecting them and clicking Remove selected, or
- All at once by clicking the Remove all buton.
If the virus is detected repeatedly, and/or cannot be removed in a standard way, we recommend the following steps:
Make sure that your Windows operating system is up to date. Check the Microsoft Update website to download latest patches for your system.
This step is important as recent malware often uses vulnerabilities in unupdated systems. If the infection blocks access to the Microsoft Update servers, remember to update your system as soon as it is possible after the infection removal.
Update your AVG by clicking the Update now button in your AVG.
Note: If the infection blocks standard AVG updates, we recommend downloading the update files and use the Update from directory feature, as described in FAQ 5226 - How to update AVG.
Configure your AVG so that it is more sensitive:
- From the menu Options, select Advanced settings.
- In the left pane, expand the item Computer Protection, and select Anti-Virus.
- Enable (select) the options Scan files on close and Enable thorough scanning.
Click OK to save changes.
Note: The settings above will require more resources. We recommend to revert the configuration after the infection removal (by clicking the Default button), to avoid system slowdown.
- Scan your computer by clicking Scan now in your AVG.
For more detailed advisory suitable for specific situations, please refer to our Virus FAQ section.
I want to know more: Read user guide