When I try to restore my Windows XP Computer to an earlier date, I get a Restoration Incomplete message stating that the computer could not be restored to the specified date. I have tried restoring to other system checkpoints but I keep on getting the same message.
Then I disabled Resident Shield in AVG 8.5, manually created a restore point in System Restore and then I was able to succesfullly restored the Computer to that point.
Is there an issue with AVG and System Restore? Is there something I can do to resolve this. Thanks
please note that the other restore points could have been damaged for various reasons. The newly created restore point should be usable even with AVG Resident Shield enabled. There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AVG is installed.
Please verify the issue with AVG 9.0 as follows:
- Check your hard drive using the checkdisk tool first(Start -> Run -> chkdsk -f -> OK -> y -> restart).
- Install AVG 9.0.
- Do not disable any of its components and restart the computer after installation.
- Perform a system restore to the manually created restore point.
If there is an issue, please provide us with all needed information together with results of checkdisk. The result could be found here:
- Open the Start menu -> Run -> enter "eventvwr" and confirm OK.
- In the left tree menu choose "Application" and find in the list record from time of running checkdisk, it will be record from column "Source" named "Winlogon", double-click on it and paste here the result
.. I took a manual system checkpoint .. and had no trouble restoring to it.
as mentioned in my previous post - the system check points could have been damaged for various reasons. The new manual restore point has been created with AVG uninstalled already as I understand the previous post. There is no general problem restoring system to previous point connected with AVG (although there are some issues with the system restore procedure itself no matter whether AVG is installed). I have tested the system restore with manually created restore point on Windows XP SP3 and no problem occurred. Unfortunately, it is not possible to test it in your environment further now as AVG has been removed.