AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard
How does AVG Firewall work?
A set of rules is defined within the AVG Firewall. These rules control the behavior of all applications or services that were detected on your computer, and that need to communicate over the network. The basic AVG Firewall settings allow you to assign the following values to each rule:
- Block – network communication is forbidden in both directions
- Allow – network communication is allowed in both directions
- Ask – no particular rule is defined, and if the specific application/service tries to approach the network you will be asked to decide whether the communication should be allowed or blocked
Why do I use the AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard?
The AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard is a tool that helps you define the settings for AVG Firewall easily and smoothly. Of course, it is possible to change the set up configuration later according to your requirements and needs; however this option can only be recommended to informed and experienced users.
How do I run the AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard?
The AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard runs automatically after the AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall installation. Later on, it can be run anytime directly from the AVG Control Center: right-click your mouse on the AVG Firewall component to open the context menu and select the appropriate option. By repeated running the AVG Configuration Wizard during your work with the AVG Firewall you can always return to the recommended AVG Firewall default settings.
What will the AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard do?
Within the AVG Firewall it is necessary to specify rules for all applications and services detected on your computer that need to communicate over the network.
- Application is a user program running on your PC (e.g. Internet browser, email client, …)
- Service refers to a specific form of the network communication that generally uses standard protocols and ports (e.g. HTTP connection)
AVG Firewall Configuration Wizard will scan your computer for all known applications and system services that can communicate over the network. A relevant rule is then defined for each of these applications and services. The rule controls behavior of the respective application/service and either allows or forbids its communication.
Custom configuration of AVG Firewall
Generally it is recommended to keep to the AVG Firewall’s default settings. However, if you still decide to change any rule, or if a new application requires a rule to be defined, you need to make sure it is absolutely safe to allow the application to communicate over the network.