AVG installation hints and recommendations
This document contains basic hints for AVG installation. For more information and explanation of each step see the AVG Installation Guide page.
- Make sure that you have the latest Windows security updates installed on your PC. This will greatly improve the protection of your computer. Also you can be sure that the AVG installation process will not be interrupted because of any missing updates. To find out how to update your system, please see the related FAQ 1934: Why is updating of operating system so important?.
- Close all running applications.
- Please make sure that you are using the latest installation file from our webpage www.avg.com/download or see our FAQ 5000: Installing AVG.
- Check if you are logged in Windows under administrator account. See the related FAQ 2521: How to check if I'm using Administrative account for details.
- The wizard will check your computer for other security applications. It is important that only one security solution is installed on your computer. In case there is another security program installed, you will be notified about it. In such a case it is necessary to uninstall the other application to prevent conflicts. For more information visit our FAQ 4183: Using AVG together with other security software products.
- You will be asked to enter your unique license number. We suggest to use Copy& Paste method to prevent mistakes. Please see the related FAQ 2010: Copy & Paste.
- If this is a new installation of AVG, you will be asked if you want to run the Quick or Custom installation. Quick is the recommended choice for most users and will not ask you about detailed configurations. In the Custom installation, you have an option to change the installation settings, installed components etc.
- If AVG is already installed different options are displayed - Add/remove components, Repair installation or Uninstallation. For details, see the related FAQ 5173: Reinstalling, uninstalling or repairing installation of AVG.
- If you installed AVG Firewall, the Firewall configuration will be displayed. Select the role that best fit your computer (based on description in the wizard).
Additional help sources
If you want some detailed description about different topics concerning installation, reinstallation or uninstallation, please visit our FAQ section. We also have several video tutorials that can guide you through the process. They are available on our Video Tutorials page.